The Markham Nathan Fund for Social Justice offers twice-yearly grants: Our Spring and Fall Grants. These grants follow our general granting guidelines.
Grant limit: $4000.
Application deadlines: March 1 and October 1
Only one grant per year per organization will be awarded.
The annual budget of the social justice organization that applies shall not exceed $175,000.
The application cannot exceed three pages (excluding cover sheet), and supplementary materials cannot exceed two pages.
- Organization Name
- Date of application
- Contact person’s name, telephone number, email address, your organization’s website address, and phone number
- Year organization was founded
- Tax-exemption number (or that of your fiscal sponsor)
- Amount requested
- The period grant will cover
Narrative (maximum of two pages)
- Introduction and background of the organization
- Briefly describe your organization’s mission, history, and major accomplishments
- Describe your current programs and activities
- If you are under the umbrella of a larger organization (e.g., a fiscal sponsor), please define your relationship with that organization. If their budget is over our limit of $175,000, please explain how your specific project’s budget is unique within that.
- Describe your proposed project or organizational needs.
What are your goals for this project and plans for achieving it for the next year? How does it support the mission of the organization and demonstrate alliance with other social justice projects?
- Who will benefit from your proposed project (e.g., race, class, gender identity, ethnicity, immigration status, etc.)?
- Itemized project budget. How will funds requested be used towards your project’s goals?
- Organization’s current annual operating budget
- Operating Expenses: staff, office, supplies, misc, etc.
- Operating Revenue: amount and source of funding for the preceding year
- A copy of your IRS 501(c)(3) letter. If your organization has a fiscal sponsor, provide their IRS 501(c)(3) number plus a letter from them verifying that they are sponsoring your organization.
Other Supporting Material
You may submit up to two (2) additional pages of material. These can be recent media publications, letters of support, promotional or organizational reports.
Send one complete copy of your application as an email attachment (PDF is the preferred format.). The maximum length is 6 pages with a cover sheet.
Use a standard typeface no smaller than 12 points and no less than .50 inch margins.
We work with electronic submissions. Please contact us if this is not possible.
Please put your organization’s name in the subject line. Email your application to
If you receive a grant the Markham-Nathan Fund for Social Justice requires
that grantees acknowledge our support in their organizational (digital and print) media.
Previous Grantees may apply again, if you do, we require you to submit a grant report. (Only one grant per year per organization will be awarded.)
Our work is made possible through donations.